Sunday, February 20, 2005

Love/Not Love

I thought I'd start with a follow-up to yesterday's love your 70's rambler post with some pictures of the floor:


It's Vinyl Composite Tile (VCT) and was extremely inexpensive (but very labor intensive because of the circles). I love it. There's something about a crazy, colored floor that just makes me happy, and I think a small room like a bathroom is an ideal palette for such a floor. As a rule I believe neutral is better for major components of decorating because I have a tendency to get sick of stuff quickly and I wouldn't want to be decorating around a blue and purple floor in my living room for the next 10 or 15 years. In the bathroom a little craziness works because I don't spend a great deal of time there. Plus it's a smaller space and therefore less of an investment in materials.

Anyway, here's some more Things I love: the short list...

  • Michel Cluizel Noir au Cafe chocolate
  • Silpats and Orkas
  • Microplanes
  • commercial sheet pans
  • expertly made small handbags and leather goods
  • expensive shoes, especially stilettos. It's 80% of the reason I was a Sex in the City fan. The other 20% was the outfits.
  • MAC
  • the Pacific Coast Feather Company's Down Around Pillow. Changed my life.
  • functional beauty
  • my homemade chocolate chip cookies with toasted almonds. talk nice and I'll tell you my secret recipe.
  • my homemade Tiramisu...again, talk nice.
  • Dupioni silk in bright colors
  • Nike running shoes...I know, I know, that whole child labor thing makes this so unPC but still...
  • obsessive attention to detail
  • Extra fine point Sharpies. The multi-colored 24 pack made me squeal in the asile at OfficeMax, really.
  • Lance Armstrong. It's a blond thing.
  • my Chantal tea kettle. It whistles like a harmonica.
  • French press coffee. Drinking a carafe now....
  • Battered, deep fried mushrooms with horseradish sauce. Not breaded and not Ranch. Yuk.


    Things that should not exist: just the highlights...

  • Wallpaper borders.
  • wine for "Decorating"
  • Silk flowers in colors that don't exist in nature...or maybe just silk flowers.
  • Emeril
  • chopped garlic in a jar
  • collagen injected lips: frightening examples here
  • Emeril
  • Buells
  • printed fleece
  • neighborhoods that are a sea of beige vinyl siding and three styles of house
  • Red Heart yarn, although I do admit to acutally buying some to make the Hallowig
  • "Vanilla" Haagen Daas. I don't know what they did to it, but it's not vanilla anymore

  • Comments: Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?