Monday, March 07, 2005

Cooking and crafting

Last nights dinner:

It was a really nice day yesterday so I fired up the grill for a first time in a while and did some strips steaks and asparagus. Very good along with a baked potato with some grated Prima Donna Gouda on top. Unfortunately laziness prevented me from enjoying this with the sauteed mushrooms it deserved. Oh well.
This is acutally some of the last supermarket beef I plan on eating. I have a few more items in my freezer, and then I'm moving on to grass fed, pasture grazed beef exclusively. I've scoped out a few internet sources for this and I'm pretty sure I can buy it locally as well, but if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
This decision is one of the consequences of reading "Fast Food Nation". Beef and poultry are now officially at the top of my shit list (along with fast food corporations) and without carrying on a boring rant, I highly recommend reading this book for some life-altering insights into the state of our food chain in this country. I think if more people had a greater awareness of what goes on behind the scenes, our diets, eating and buying habits would be drastically different. The current reality is not pretty.

On another subject, I did manage to get some knitting done on my Color on Color scarf over the course of the last few days.
Here's a couple of pictures of the finished sections 14, 15 and up to around row 55 of section 16.



It's coming along, I guess, although knitting all the I-cord for section 15 might make me crazy.

Comments:
Wow! You've really made some headway on the scarf! It looks great. I assure you, i-cord is mindless, easy knitting...you'll be fine.
 
HI! I can't remember how I found your blog--it was through some convoluted path--but I live in Minnesota, too.

If you're looking for organic beef, try a co-op. We buy all our meat there mostly for political/enviromental reasons but also because it tastes so much better. I have lots of suggestions--send me an email and let me know where you can shop.

I love your scarf! The one in the book didn't inspire me, but seeing yours makes me want one.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?