Saturday, April 16, 2005

I scream for ice cream

In honor of superfabulousfunfriday, we went adventuring with Carrie and Kyle. We started off with a great walleye dinner at Tavern on Grand, a place they call Minnesota's restaurant. It's a funny, up-north-like place on the otherwise trendy Grand Ave. in St. Paul. We scored some serious people watching action as we were sitting outside waiting for our table and once we got inside, our food was simple and delicious. We gobbled it all up before nary a photo was taken. Oops.
Kyle was the perpatrator of the evenings event, so we have the subsequent trip for ice cream to blame on him. Thanks Kyle! We trucked over to a locally owned hot spot, Izzy's.


The shop has only been around since 2000, but it's already what I would consider a Twin Cities institution. I really think they make the best ice cream I've ever had, and being the food snob that I am, I'm not one to give out a title like that all willy-nilly. They make all their own stuff, and there was so many yummy sounding and interesting flavors on the menu that I had a hard time deciding.

(for the record, there were MANY more flavors in the case than what was shown on the board.)

I went with Strawberry, as this is my classically favorite flavor and a tough test for good ice cream. For my Izzy, which is a trial size scoop on top of the big scoop, I chose Honey Almond Brickle and it was all happily ensconced in a homemade waffle cone.


Both flavors were creamy and delicious and with the perfect balance of sweetness. Furthermore, the whole Izzy scoop thing is just beyond cool in my book since it's like ice cream tapas and I have a supreme weakness for the 'little tastes' style of eating. There's even a whole dish full of Izzy scoops on the menu, called the Dizzy Izzy. Next time I'm going to try the Izzabella, a chocolate dipped waffle cone rolled in Marcona almonds
with an Oblaten wafer and a bunch of other cool acoutrements.
Either that, or the Mini Split, a bananna split using those tiny but delicious South American banannas. (Cool idea, huh?)
YAY for Izzy's!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?