Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Last Nights' Dinner

So, a couple of weeks ago I was watching the Build a Better Burger competition on the Food Network, and I thought one of the finalist recipes, Grilled Pork Burgers Indochine, sounded right up my pantry. The recipe is pretty simple. Not too many ingredients, nothing that's too much effort to obtain for a weeknight dinner, and grilled, which hey, in my world, is hard to go wrong with.
I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of leaving out the star anise, because really, anise makes me want to barf. It was quick and easy to throw everything together, maybe ten minutes total prep time.

The burgers are pretty fragile before they'er cooked which is always kind of a pain in the butt, but once on the grill I left them alone and let one side was cook completely and they were much easier to deal with. On the grill, slightly greasy and charred, the burgers looked delicious, and I was excited to plate them up and dig in.



Unfortnately, we both agreed that they looked better than they tasted which seems to have been alluded to by the fact that I couldn't take a decent picture of the thing to save my life. Don't get me wrong, the ingredients do a great job of flavoring the otherwise bland ground pork and the basil-cilantro mayo was a delicious, cool foil to the rich burger, but I just wasn't feeling the flavored meat thing AT ALL. Boy agreed. I think I can describe them as either Pad Thai on a bun or an pot sticker on a bun, and that's apparently not the kind of thing I want a whole burgers' worth of. While I don't think I'll make these again, I also wouldn't discourage anyone from trying them for themselves, because the reviews were all pretty good and it is an interesting take on the burger.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?