Sunday, June 04, 2006

Pink and Frosty




I am not typically a singular use kind of kitchen gadget girl, but several years ago, I found this at the Goodwill for just a few bucks and couldn't pass it up.
Since then, I've used it a few times which would hardly seem enough to justify it's existence in my cupboard, but the amazingly easy, simple yum it cranks out makes it impossible for me to give it up.

Even though I am trying so, so hard to be good in the eating department, I had a pound of strawberries in my fridge that were just screaming to be made into something special. And it just so happens that strawberry ice cream is my absolute all time favorite. A browse through my dessert/treat recipe folder finds not one but four recipes for said item. Kinda crazy, I know, but such is the nature of my obsession.
I used to be all about the strawberry Haagen-Das, but at some point, like so many other things, they cheapened the ingredients or changed the recipe or something and it became so not as good. Not worth buying, in fact, and I could rarely find it anyway. Which left exactly zero options in the good store bought strawberry category.

So despite the fact that I knew before even beginning that I would, in fact, eat at least 2/3 of the batch myself, I set out to make some fresh strawberry ice cream with my happy little Donvier.
The hardest part, really, was deciding which recipe to use, and I basically just ended up picking one randomly, because how could any of them NOT be good?
And it is:


I think it's so cool that you can by ice cream shop type waffle cones at the grocery store now. It makes my whole cone eating experience so much better.

The recipe here. I altered it slightly by using 2 cups of 2% milk and 1c. of heavy cream instead of half milk and half cream. It's plenty rich, and I think it would be fine with even less cream, or maybe even 3c. of whole milk. I love the butterfat richness, but I want it to be able to be cut by the tart freshness of the berries, and too much cream interferes with what the whole strawberry thing is about.

I already have my next batch figured out....Rocky Road. Can you imagine the most yummy chocolate ice cream you've ever eaten paired with freshly toasted almonds and marshmallows?
I predict THAT will be crazygood.

Comments:
What a cruel cruel thing to read at the end of my day. You ice cream sounds simply delightful.
 
Yum. I think you need to make pistashio ice cream...for ME.

I hope that isn't the cone that was waiting for me last night ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?