Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A WFDW Preview and More Rambling About Bread

Today at Casa Splatgirl:


How to turn some IKEA stuff into a cool (and cheap!) bathroom vanity over at Modern in MN.

I'm about ready to plunk No-Knead Bread loaf #3 into the oven as I type, to accompany tonights' WFDW pick, Escarole and Orzo Soup with Turkey Parmesan Meatballs.

For this current batch of NKB, I'm using Gold Medal Harvest King flour which I hadn't ever seen before but purchased because it was the only kind of bread flour they had at SuperTarget. I'm curious to see what I get, because it seems like the choice of flour may be a make it or break it kind of decision when it comes to this recipe. While NKB #1 using King Arthur bread flour was fantastic and drew my raves, NKB #2 using regular all purpose flour was awful. It had a drastically different texture than the first loaf, lacking the lovely tenderness of crumb and big holes that made me a NKB believer. It was tough and nasty and most of it went in the trash. So whether this was due to the difference in flours or my addition of another 1/4 tsp of salt, I'm not sure, but I'm glad to have been able to replenish my stash of King Arthur bread flour today just in case.

I'll have the recipe reviews tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll enjoy watching LOST and, since I have so far today neglected to walk PupCake, I'll spend the hour that Top Design won't be taking up sweating on the Nordic Track. Gotta work off all those bread experiments, you know...

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?