Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Bacon Moment

I've had a lifelong breakfast dilemma.
Eggs or pancakes?
You know how when you're craving something savory, dreaming about crispy-salty bacon and buttery eggs, but can get the hankering for something sweet like pancakes out of your head? Not that I ever haven't wanted bacon with my breakfast, mind you, but for me, what it really boils down to is that it pains me to have bacon without the sweetness of some maple syrup to mop it around in, but I don't get syrup without pancakes or french toast or waffles. But I really would rather have some version of eggs instead of the pancake group with my syrup dredged bacon. And the idea of having bacon and eggs and pancakes is just too over the top.

But this morning the planets aligned and the problem has been solved:

That, my friends, is some yummy eggs and hash browns with my new favorite problem solver, candied bacon.

I don't know why I've never tried this before, because I know I saw it done somewhere years and years ago and stashed it away in a cranny of my brain as a good idea. As it turns out, it's a really freakin good idea.
And the stuff takes all of two seconds to throw together. Basically, it's just bacon laid out on a sheet pan and covered with a thick layer of brown sugar and then popped in a hot oven, where you can forget about it while you tend to your eggs. The even better part is that is makes zero mess if you take a second to line your sheet pan with foil. No greasy spatter and no pan to wash. How cool is that?
I baked it for about 10 to 15 minutes at 450. The sugar melts while the bacon cooks and it comes out crispy and gooey and sweet and salty and totally insanely delicious. And it solves my sweet vs. savory delimma forever.
Can I hear a YUM?

Labels:


Comments:
Oh, that looks so yummy! I know what I want to make for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!
-Gretchen
 
Hear Ye, Hear Ye....YUM.
 
That is freakin' brilliant.
 
Great googly moogly, that's fabulous. I'm going to have to use that for a drink garnish... for a breakfastini, with maple vodka and coffee something-or-other!
 
Sprinkle with a bit of cayenne and pepper and OH MY GOD. So good.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?