Thursday, March 01, 2007

Review of WFDW and Some More Bread Blabbering


Escarole Orzo Soup with Turkey Parmesan Meatballs
Nothing special, but certainly quick and easy and edible. I probably wouldn't make it again, but Boy did mention that the meatballs would be great with red sauce. Hmmm. Good idea boy, particularly since they were simple to throw together and low fat.
For the record, I was unable to find escarole at my store but they did have about six or seven varieties of organic kale, so I randomly chose one and substituted it with great results. I absolutely love the dark green leafies but for you iceberg-over-romaine peeps, I think spinach would be an appropriately happy medium.

You can see No Knead bread loaf #3 there in the background. As I told you yesterday, this loaf was made as written using Gold Medal Harvest King flour, and the result was better than the previous, all purpose flour+ extra salt loaf, but still not nearly as nice as my initial attempt using King Arthur brand flour. I was able to dig up that one little blurb about the Gold Medal flour, but annoyingly, there's no information given regarding protein content which is the way flours are typically compared. I'm guessing it falls somewhere between King Arthur's bread flour and regular all purpose.
As an interesting aside, I've been working my way through Harold McGees' "On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen", and had just gotten through the section on breads when I decided to jump into the KNB pool. He says that salt toughens the gluten in bread, which completely corresponds with my tough, yucky loaf #2 where I increased the salt by 1/4 tsp.

Enough about baking science, eh?

Go find out what the deal is with this recent Casa Splatgirl project:

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?