Thursday, May 10, 2007

Reporting on What's For Dinner Wednesday

This weeks pick...well, actually, Boy's pick from a couple of weeks ago, put off because life has been getting in the way of cooking, Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde


Not shockingly delicious, (or deliciously shocking?) but pretty tasty. I particularly liked the salsa, which basically is guacamole with tomatillos in it. Now, as a rather hard and fast rule, I am overwhelmingly opposed to adulterating guacamole with random and unwelcome ingredients, but the tomatillo added an interesting juicy freshness and the perfect touch of sweet. It was a nice change of pace and complimented the shrimp well.

I whipped up some black beans and rice to go along side. And yes, you also spy a mojito there in the background, because I couldn't bear to see the fresh mint leftover from last weekends' Pad Thai and mojoito-fest with Ms. Knit-Whit go to waste.

So as far as the taco recipe is concerned, I guess I just kept wishing for another ingredient... grilled corn kernels? Sliced mango? Dare I say cheese? I dunno, but there are definitely better shrimp taco recipes out there and I wouldn't recommend bothering with this one. And next time I venture into taco land I'm going to try making my own corn tortillas, since this is the second time I've been disappointed with purchased corn tortillas.

I also made Kahlua Flan.
I didn't take pictures partly because it's flan and flan never really looks fantastic but also because I didn't really care for this particular recipe. I probably wouldn't have bothered, as I think flan kind of falls into the same "don't mess with it" category as guacamole, but Boy picked this one too and he doesn't even like flan so I figured I HAD to indulge him if only to see if I could bring him around. Anyway, I couldn't taste the Kahlua, and really, the Joy of Cooking flan recipe that has served me well for many years is 100 times better with it's milk steeped with lime peel and cinnamon. On the other hand, Boy said this one, despite still being flan, was better...
whatever.

So, that's what happened here last night. Now go check out what was cookin at NorCalMrs' house!

Comments:
Hey, thanks for the shout out! Your meal looks amazing!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?