Monday, July 02, 2007

Is Breakfast Ready?

I am a little ashamed of this picture, but this was one of those occasions where more attempts would have produced only a delay in gratification, not a better looking photo so I'm giving it to you anyway.
Saturday morning, Bacon, Egg, and Avocado Sandwich with caramelized onions, tomato, and homemade spicy pimenton aioli:


With a freshly made berry muffin to go along side, this was my response to Boy's suggestion that we have egg sandwiches for breakfast. Surely this wasn't what he had in mind, being a reflexively plain food kind of guy (it's just butter, egg and bread if he's cooking...I even have to get my own catsup) but I could tell from the speed with which he consumed this, wordless, that he enjoyed it.

When I dug into the fridge to compile the ingredients for the requested breakfast, I discovered a lonely but perfectly ripe avocado that needed eating up, and that brought me back to a few weeks ago when Knit-Whit and I enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Good Day Cafe.
On that occasion, I opted for the crab cakes eggs benedict (holy crap, so freaking delicious, and dont' even get me thinking about the beignets and caramel roll), and she chose their amazing looking egg sandwich that provided today's inspiraition. Checking my facts, the GDC version contains ham rather than bacon, but I the ingredient that really got my attention was the avocado...


Casa Splatgirl's Bacon, Egg, and Avocado Sandwich:
makes one

Two eggs, fried however you like them
Two pieces of toasted bread. (GDC uses brioche, I used whole wheat, sourdough would be awesome)
Three or four strips of the best bacon you can find, cooked crisp
1/2 a small onion, sliced and cooked in a bit of oil or butter until soft and beginning to caramelize
1/2 ripe Haas avocado, sliced
sliced tomato
homemade aioli or spicy mayo

Start cooking the onion first while you compile and prep the rest of the ingredients. And if you're feeling particularly naughty, you can fry your eggs in the grease that's left in the pan from cooking the bacon so that they get all lacy and brown and crispy around the edges.
Once everything is ready to go, slather the toast with as much aioli as you want, pile the rest of the stuff on top and enjoy the most crazily delicous egg sandwich you've ever made.

Not to leave out the berry muffins, I whipped them up using my older-than-me copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It's their basic muffins with the "blueberry" variation of a bit more sugar and a cup of berries (I used frozed mixed berries), plus soy milk instead of cow. The batter turned out really thick so I was able to pile the whole batch into six regular sized muffin cups. The end result was a really good dense and cakey muffin and I love how they ended up nice and big and tall so I think this recipe will become my muffin stand-by. Next time I'm going to sprinkle sugar on the tops.

And a little side note here: If you haven't enjoyed the pleasure of making and eating your own aioli (aka garlicky mayo) PLEASE do it now. It's the most amazing, simple to make stuff and is fantastic on everything from grilled fish to veggies to a breakfast sandwich. Recipes abound, but it's basically garlic cloves, egg yolk and olive oil with a little lemon juice and salt carefully zized in the blender. My aioli was left over from some that I made to accompany grilled veggies, and included the addition of a 1/2tsp. or so of smoked hot Spanish paprika (pimenton), but you can add whatever other savory spice you want (saffron is nice)...or not. Plain or embellished, it's like condiment crack and you'll start dreaming up all kinds of ways to use it afterward. But make it in small batches unless you plan to take a bath in it, because even a two-egg-yolk recipe makes a huge amount and you don't want it hanging around for too long.
As I said, it's super quick to make but for the sandwich, if you're starving or can't be bothered, some Chipotle Tabasco or Sriracha stirred into some Hellman's would be good too.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?