Thursday, October 11, 2007

What's For Dinner...

Thursday.
I started yesterday with good intentions, really. But then time got away from me and I had to put off the meal I had planned until tonight.
So, a day late, I bring you what can't qualify as cooking, but meets the requirement of something new:
Bacon, Arugula, Tomato and Egg Sandwiches:



The tomato component of the recipe is actually tomato chutney which I made from scratch using this recipe. It's so fabulous that I think it would probably make an old sneaker taste good, but being that I'm fresh out of old sneakers this week, I'm looking forward to enjoying the leftovers with some brie someday soon. It would also rock the steak or chicken sandwich world, I think.

The sandwich is great, although that's pretty much a no brainer with anything bacon and egg for this breakfast lover. I actually used watercress instead of arugula and the peppery bite was a perfect foil for the richness of the main ingredients. In fact, I ran across this recipe on a hunt for watercress-containing recipes simply because I had a bag of that nifty hydroponic stuff left over from a week or so ago and it was so gorgeous that I couldn't bear to see it go to waste. And I just have to go on record (again) as saying I think that the hydroponic watercress and it's cousin, the hydroponic butter lettuce that I've raved about before are about the greatest inventions ever. They keep practically forever because they're still attached to their root balls (meaning they're still alive) and they're so much nicer and simpler to use because you can pluck the nearly perfectly clean whole plant from it's package instead of spending a bunch of time cleaning mud and dirt off the traditionally produced versions.
Anyway, a fantastic and super quick to make recipe. I served ours with a little spinach salad on the side because it was dinner, but I think it it would work great for breakfast as well with some skillet potatos or hash browns or something.
Definitely talking hangover food there...

Comments:
this looks great delicious - great picture
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?