Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Brief Intermission

....while I wade through and attempt to sew up into MOOPockets the oodles of new fabrics stacked and waiting on my worktable...

Who knew fabric trimmings could be so pretty:


Keep an eye out for a slew of fun new stuff coming to my Etsy shop shortly!

Other than that, it's been a pretty quiet week around here. Extra dog walking and pedaling and trying to eat clean in an attempt to convince my fat cells that a downsizing is in order after the weeks-long eating fest of the holidays. Plus it's been mostly gray, although warmish for January, and the lack of sunlight always makes me feel slow and blah.

Since the new year and the onset of the dark days of January I've plowed through both "The United States of Arugula" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma", and I have to say that while they compliment each other well, it's a little bit of a how-much-more-f'ed-could-our-food-system-possibly-be overload, and I am officially neurotically wigged out about processed food, etc. AGAIN.
Excellent books though, both of them. In fact, "Omnivore's Dilemma" has made an indelible impression on me that exceeds even what Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" did, and that book seriously changed my life right down to the level of my every day activities. (Read my original post about Barbara's book here.)
So, having been thoroughly and quite possibly annoyingly enlightened yet again (sorry), I now feel compelled to tell you that "Omnivore's Dilemma" needs to be considered required reading for anyone who eats, and if you haven't read it yet, move it to the top of your list RIGHT NOW. And don't worry, it's as entertaining as it is informative.

On that note....get a head start on scoping out your CSA farmshare NOW!

Comments:
I LOVED The United States of Arugula -- so fascinating. I haven't read The Omnivore's Dilemma, but I think it's the same author as In Defense of Food (Michael Pollan?) and I just picked that up. Have you read anything by Marion Nestle? I thought What to Eat was really interesting, and Nestle puts her food-buying advice so sensibly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?