Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday Dinner

Steak with Boursin Wine Sauce and Mac and Cheese!



Completely by accident, this was one of the best meals I've made in a while, and without even really trying or thinking too much which makes it Sunday-perfect in my world.

Really though, this was a complete no brainer and just what I need after a long, hard weekend of doing...
well...
nothing.

I followed the steak recipe linked above (which is very, very simple)pretty much as written using a couple of fabulous and low-guilt 100% grass beef NY strip steaks, although I did substitute a Bordeaux instead of Merlot because it was what I had on hand. The mac and cheese was from the hip starting with some gently sauteed onion and garlic and a great bechamel and then using up the various scraps of cheese I found in my drawer, namely a great Cheddar, some aged Gouda, and a titsch of Amish Blue.
I don't know what got me into the idea that this would be a good side for the steaks because I am SO not the kind of cook that has a mac and cheese family history or even the kind that makes it more often than, say, once every couple of years. I mean I've tried a few of recipes here and there but basically it's just not something I ever really think to think about making. But as it turns out, this was one of my best batches of the stuff ever so I guess I musta learned something some place along the way. And it also turns out it was a most agreeable companion to the steak and wine sauce and the rest of the meal, so much so that it has the potential to become a regular, big meat meal stand-by. Look out Paula Deen.
The salad there in the back (because you KNOW this girl's gotta have her green salad) is just baby spinach and arugula with some orange supremes, grape tomato and a nice bright citrus vinagrette. (And BTW, if you haven't already discovered it, the citrus this season is AMAZING so go out and buy some oranges or grapefruits.)

So we're full and happy and looking forward to the evenings' dog-walk in what remains of the veritably balmy weekend weather.

Here's to a great steak dinner and an excuse to finish off an open bottle of wine!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?