Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Lets Talk Community Supported Agriculture

A couple of things crossed my path today that got me thinking...anticipating...Spring. And maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but with some things you need to turn up early to get the good stuff.
And when it comes to choosing and signing up for a CSA farmshare, turning up early is always advisable, so I figured I'd pass that reminder along to y'all.

So yea, it's still January, and the growing season, at least in MN is still months away, but I speak from experience when I tell you that now is the time to start doing your homework to get yourself set up with a CSA share for the coming season.

Regardless of where you live, the Local Harvest website is a fantastic resource for all things edible. There you'll find the information you need to study up and choose the perfect partner to provide you with a seasons' worth of lovely local produce.

Here's a peek at one of the final boxes from the '08 season:


Our share was with Riverbend Farm, and if you're local to the Twin Cities, I highly recommend Greg and Mary and crew.

I found that photo in my picture files, waiting since last Fall to be uploaded to the set that documented the contents of each weeks' box for our entire season with Riverbend Farm. If you're curious to know what you could expect from a CSA farmshare, check those photos out here.
And I know I've said it before, but I really can't shout loud enough about the awesomeness that is CSA. I know it may seem like a lot of money to put forth all at once...for vegetables...but I know that wherever you live and whatever CSA farm you choose, you'll find it's an excellent value with a payoff that goes well beyond just fresh veggies.

So go get started on your homework, ok?

Labels:


Comments:
I can't wait to visit my nearest farm this season and get on board with something like this! I live very rural right now so I'm surrounded by perfect candidates!
 
I loved my CSA. Made me much more creative in the kitchen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?