Friday, March 27, 2009

Banishing the Big White Studio Wall

My studio. Back when I painted it Racer Pink, I purposely left the biggest uninterrupted expanse of wall in the room white. And I've had a rough idea in my head about what I wanted to do with that (still) big white wall for ages, but other projects and the inability to nail myself down to specifics kept me from acting. But today, I finally got around to spitting a little bit of that out.

Because sometimes, you just gotta slap some paint on the wall:


I'm indulging my inner wannabe graffiti artist and while I have to point out that I am lacking the insane artistic genius that many of those who create public art possess, I think this will end up to be something pretty cool. It certainly helps that I'm not forced to work under pressure or to complete it under the cover of night and threat of arrest.

To be sure, it'll be a work in progress for a while. Here's the planning sketch I did this afternoon to give myself some direction:


I've done several other whole-room murals in the past, but those required a fair amount of pre-planning and sketching, and the subject matter was mostly dictated by the client. In this case, it's all about whatever my brain spits out, and I have to say that that getting out my big artist brushes, taking a deep breath and just going for it with no rules...on the wall...is crazy fun. Exciting and satisfying.
I'll keep you posted.

Labels:


Comments:
Cute! Is there anything you can't do?
 
yea. I couldn't pass college algebra to save my life :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?