Thursday, November 08, 2007

Conquering Yarn Mountain

One hundred yards down, 1000 yards to go:


I am not a garment knitter, necessarily, so yarn mountain scares me just a little. Such a big commitment and all. And for the record, all you chronic garment/sweater knitters scare me too. Because you make us non-garment knitters look like commitment-phobes.
And wimps.
Pretend knitters, even.
Knitting poseurs?

It's just so hard for me to face the idea of working up 10 or 12 or 14 balls of ALL THE SAME YARN (aka yarn mountain: see above), turning each and every linear foot into all those tiny little size 5 stitches, all the while hoping for the best; that planned garment looks at least partly as flattering on planned wearer as it does in imaginary knit garment world.

So we shall see. Both weather I am capable of conquering yarn mountain, and if planned garment ends up working for planned wearer, aka moi.

But I will say that I am hating the whole knitting ribbing thing much, much less ever since the turtleneck shrug when I forced myself to learn how to knit in the Continental manner rather than English. So. Much. Faster.
And another bonus: This particular sweater is knit circularly from the neck down, forcing me to master the tubular cast on. Hurray! I'm loving my nice, tidy-yet-stretchy neck edge courtesy of Knitty, Sivia Harding, and most helpful of all, Megan at notmartha who was kind enough to explain what is, IMO, her superior method for working tubular cast-on in K2P2 rib.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?